Why Not? 21 Self-Care Ideas You Can Try Today!
By: Abigail Yeomans LPC
There are so many articles out there that describe how to take care of yourself. That must mean something, and you guessed it! This constant conversation suggests that self-care is not only important but entirely necessary to lead a satisfying and healthy life.
The first step to practicing self-care is to acknowledge that you deserve to take care of yourself. Practice saying “I deserve this time for myself” and pay attention to the effect that has on your mood! Sometimes we just need to give ourselves permission to take a few minutes to decompress.
Here a few other ideas:
- Allow yourself two mindful minutes before, during or after work/ school today
- Look up mindfulness apps on your phone and try one of the exercises
- Follow through on plans today even if youâ€™re tired!
- Take a bath
- Light a candle
- Dance to your favorite song
- Take the scenic route home
- Play a game with your friends, kids, partner
- Try a new hobby
- Cook your favorite recipe
- Start an inspirational Pinterest board
- Re-read your favorite book
- Call someone who you care about
- Exercise, even if it is only for 5 minutes
- Go to bed early
- Write in a journal- try to focus on all the things you did well today
- If you have the tendency to be hard on yourself, try saying â€œI notice I am having the thought that____.â€ (for more tips like this try reading The Happiness Trap by Dr. Russ Harris)
- Take a minute to hold the door for someone when you are out and about today
- Look up positive affirmations and try saying one to yourself in the mirror
- Instead of dwelling on the past, look out the window and observe what is happening right now
- Create a self-soothe kit- put items in a box that help ease anxiety during times of high stress. Focus on the five senses and include items in the kit for sight, sounds, touch, taste and smell.
These are only a handful of ideas that are helpful for folks I have worked with when they want to practice self-care. Even though it may seem like there is absolutely no time to do any of the things listed above, it is so important to give yourself just one to five minutes to simply be! Have any self-care ideas you want to share? Go to our Facebook or Twitter pages to share what works for you!